Founders and Startups
VP ON CALL for Founders and CEOs of Start-ups
Very early, primarily unfunded companies often can't afford the experienced help with the senior business acumen and judgment needed to defy the overwhelming failure rate of start-ups. We often meet Founders and CEOs who are expert at building a new software product or a data service but unfamiliar with the priorities for growing a business. Recognizing this, we offer a limited but very effective program for Founders and CEOs of start-up organizations.
Frankly, independent consulting firms also could use this service. Have you noticed that consultants like to consult but not to sell? In fact, they're not usually very good at it because they are selling their own expertise - - very, very challenging. I partner with a terrific direct marketer to generate leads through targeted emails, follow up with calls, get initial phone appointments and coach client partners to engage with potential customers.
Right from the start, attention should be placed on three challenges:
1. Craft a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to introduce to the market
2. Identify and approach early adopters in the marketplace
3. Capture first customers for the "entry product" and jump-start revenue.
We advise that you can't do this with junior people or on your own. Look at the statistics. "The majority of high-tech businesses born in 2000 didn't survive past 2003. By 2009, fewer than 1 in 5 high-tech start-ups, born in 2000, were still in business." Tian Luo and Amar Mann, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Our team provides the executive expertise for our VP ON CALL program and the Sales, Market, Product Alignment and Funding support you require.
Customized Sales and Market Development Support to Grow Your Business
Here's How You Benefit:
- Allows you to delegate time-intensive behind-the-scene tasks so that you can concentrate on being out in front, reviewing progress and setting direction
- Frees you to meet with customers, pitch new business, develop strategy, oversee projects
- Supplies hard-to-find skills and experience with sales partners who have a notably high success rate in getting meetings with the right people
- Provides you with the research, intelligence and background you need to conduct productive sessions with new customers
- Our development partners are seasoned and experienced;
We are US-based, accomplished and not outsourced.
VP ON CALL is your Partner in Building Your Business
SALES VP ON CALL
We use highly experienced sales experts with skills aligned for technology companies and their sophisticated markets. Sales partners are up to speed about your product and the target market, and they are coached on the selling script so that they are immediately productive. Your sales partner will:
- Identify targeted contacts who are receptive to a phone call with you; qualified by email and phone calls
- Conduct internet research to identify potential customers and build a lead database
In addition, we will provide the following support:
- Draft sales materials; create selling script; brief our sales development partners on your company and markets.
MARKET VP ON CALL
Your marketing partner will leverage your prospect list as well as the lead database we build for you. It's essential and a lot of work, frankly, to keep you on the prospect's radar screen until he is ready to engage. To support your personal leadership role in capturing customers, we can:
- Track and organize intelligence about competitors and market developments
- Prepare the content for newsletters and blog posts that demonstrate the unique value of your company and relate it to industry issues
- Research new markets via the internet
- Craft attention-getting marketing emails and support materials
- Prepare simple PowerPoint presentations
- Refresh content on your website based on competitive intelligence and market learnings
- Identify conferences for you to attend, to speak at or to exhibit at
PRODUCT VP ON CALL
Too many new companies skip the vital steps necessary to assure product fit with the market or scrupulously define the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) that a customer will buy. They waste months or years, neglecting to engage customers "early and often" to gather feedback and start the sales process. This neglect naturally contributes to the very high failure rate of new companies. New companies are always budget constrained but everything rests on getting to market fast with a product that is aligned with its customers. We can efficiently:
- Conduct competitive research via internet on market needs and priorities
- Utilize internet survey tools to conduct online surveys
- Draft research questions
This work will quickly give you most of the answers you need to assess priorities, receptivity in the market, and selling points.
FUNDING VP ON CALL
Very few start-ups get funding until they have revenue. So most companies should (but don't) concentrate on getting customers and revenue first. Potential investors judge you heavily on market acceptance, buy-in, and the pragmatism you demonstrate about your entry product and phased development aligned with the market. We can help with the following:
- Research sources for venture funding, identify the most likely entry point for contact
- Contact by email and phone calls to arrange initial web calls for you with venture partners
- Write content for presentation materials and the "pitch"
We can work on a retainer or project basis customized for your needs.
Call Gail at 978-425-9243 or email gail(at)gailbuergerkerr(dot)com.
Great Results, Personable, Expert, High Integrity, Creative
Delivers results "Your contribution to the company has been tremendous. You have helped us
to form an enterprise program, scope a market and open doors to key players in
the market. Your professionalism and integrity are unsurpassed in
Leads Effectively "The praise really goes to you -- for choosing us, organizing us, and keeping us on task
those many months."
Inspires innovation "Gail ran a two day workshop with our executive team to assist with some strategic product development initiatives. Gail was an excellent facilitator and we were thrilled with the ideas that were developed over the two days."
Easy to work with "Gail has been great to work with. She is very focused towards getting the results. I would highly recommend her."
Flexible roles "Gail is as comfortable stepping into a company as an external advisor or mentor, as she is in taking the role of chief executive; leading business development and sales; handling corporate communications; spear-heading investor relations and making investor presentations."
For more recommendations go to the About Us page